Friday, August 3, 2012

Dystopian Adventure: The Blemished by Sarah Dalton

Just the facts:

  • Overall Rating: 5 Stars
  • Addiction Level:  I read it every waking moment and then started rereading.
  • Believe-ability:  I daydream about the created world and wonder how I fit in.
  • Dystopia Factor:  The world has been turn upside down and all hope is lost!
  • Favorite Quote:  “Once, my mum told me a story about a princess and it began with her stuck in a castle.  My story begins with my head stuck in the toilet.” Click to Tweet.



 
~~~
I really enjoy books that grab me from the start:  “Once, my mum told me a story about a princess and it began with her stuck in a castle.  My story begins with my head stuck in the toilet.”  Needless to say I wanted to know why this story started with a girl’s head in the toilet. 
Our protagonist Mina Hart is a “normal” person with genetic defect(s) somewhere in her family making her “blemished.”  This might be ok if people weren’t genetically engineered.  In Dalton’s society GEMs, those that are genetically engineered, have the upper-hand.  (For a complete synopsis, check here.)
Though Dalton combines many of my favorite dystopian books and movies into one, it does not seem cliché.  The Blemished has elements of oppression, rebellion, loyalty, friendship, betrayal, and survival.  What make is it unique is the strong female protagonist who owns her choices. 

What I loved:
  • The way Dalton drew me into the story with the opening line.
  • The fast-paced nature of the novel.  I barely had time to breathe while reading.  Danger and poor choices seem to lurk around the next page.
  • Mina
    • Though she is frustrating at times, I enjoyed her growth and ownership of her choices.
    • A dystopian novel does not seem to be complete without a love triangle.  Mina’s choice surprised me.  Read to see who she chooses.
  • Mrs. Murgatroyd aka Murder-Troll
    • She is revolting to look at:  “The collagen in her lips made her mouth baggy and shiny, like slugs inside loose skin.”  Ew!  She’s not hard to hate, but Dalton gives you glimpses of her true nature which made me question my hate.
  • Choice Ownership
    • It is refreshing to see Mina own her choices no matter how disastrous the consequences.
  • The Ending
    • Dalton ties up most of the loose ends.  I know this is the first book in a series, but I am satisfied with the ending.
Check out The Blemished by Sarah Dalton if you are looking for a fast-paced dystopian adventure!  Many thanks to Sarah for an ARC! 

No comments:

Post a Comment