Monday, August 27, 2012

Unbelievable Narrator: Timepiece by Myra McEntire

Just the Facts:

Overall Rating:  2 ½ Stars
Addiction Level:  I read it when I had spare time.
Believe-ability:  Some aspects were real.
Dystopia Factor:  The world is starting to disintegrate.

~~~

I was not able to sit down and read Timepiece in one sitting, which could have contributed to my confusion, lack of interest, and dissatisfaction.  For me Timepiece did not deliver.
In Hourglass the audience discover that Jack is the bad guy/mastermind behind Liam’s death and other time-related crimes.  In Timepiece it becomes imperative to find Jack, because the powers that be are angry.  Life could cease to exist if Jack is not found!
As much as Emerson annoyed me, I was ready to step back into her world.  Instead I stepped in Kaleb’s.  That’s right, Kaleb is the protagonist.  I thought it would be cool to navigate this world through Kaleb’s point of view, but I had a difficult time believing and remembering it was Kaleb.  Every time I picked up the book, I would have to make a conscious effort to tell myself that Kaleb is the narrator.  It didn’t work very well; I found myself saying, “Why would Emerson say that?  Oh…yeah…it was Kaleb.”
This book suffers from second book syndrome.  It relies too heavily on what McEntire set up in Hourglass.  Timepiece cannot stand alone.  I was unsure of relationships, even of Michael and Emerson’s.  I love dialogue, but Timepiece needed more description.
I did enjoy more of the “Dr. Who” element and Lily’s rising importance.  The time travel mystery was exciting, and I am dying to know more about the various conflicts and their resolutions.  In Hourglass we only got a small glimpse of Lily.  In Timepiece her character is flushed out more.  What she can do is very intriguing. 
After reading, I feel eh.  I’ll read the third book, but I probably won’t buy it.  Here’s hoping for a better ending in book three.

No comments:

Post a Comment