Monday, December 3, 2012

Don’t Mess with the Future: The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler



Overall Rating: 2 stars
Addiction Level:  I read it when I had spare time.
Believe-ability: The setting was believable.

I wanted to like The Future of Us, because I loved 13 Reasons Why.  The message behind 13 Reasons Why made me want to see what else Jay Asher had in store in The Future of Us.  I was interested in this story, because I had AOL dial-up in the 90s.  In fact Emma and I were both juniors in 1996.  Relating to the story was easy.
Emma gets AOL and is able to logon to a futuristic Facebook.  Every time she and Josh log on, some aspect of their future changes.  They attempt to discover how to change the future.
It is hard to tell where the story fell apart.  The story is told in opposing viewpoints between Josh and Emma.  I appreciate how that was crafted as each chapter picks up where the last chapter left off, but I had a difficult time distinguishing between their two voices.  They were too similar. 
I was halfway through the book before I became engaged in the story.  It was interesting to see that everything they did had an effect on the future.  However, nothing really pulled at my heart strings.  I was not invested in the characters.
It seems the moral Asher and Mackler wanted us to learn was obvious from the beginning:  Don’t mess with the future; worry about today.  
I was hoping for more.  Next time I might not pick up one of his books so easily.

 

1 comment:

  1. Good to know what not to put at the top of my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete