Monday, March 25, 2013

“Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder”: Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi



Overall Rating:  4 stars
Addiction Level:  I ignored the hubby and puppy until I finished it.
Believe-ability:  The setting is believable.
Dystopia Factor:  The world has been turned upside down and all hope is lost, but maybe our hero/heroine can save it.

~~~

Perry and Aria had to go their separate ways in Under the Never Sky.  For both of them it was a coming of age story.  Both have a better idea of who they are.  Their maturity continues in Through the Ever Night.  Who knew being thrown out of their homes would be for the turning point for each?
Oftentimes I am frustrated when authors write in multiple perspectives.  I am not convinced the narrator changed.  Rossi uses third-person point of view very well.  Though the story alternates between Perry and Aria’s point of view, I am never confused or annoyed at the prose.  Instead I have to keep reading.
I liked the character development of both Perry and Aria.  Perry struggles to rule as the new Blood Lord.  As he makes unwise choices, the characters and I cringe.  It is satisfying to see him struggle and then come out triumphant.
Though Aria is younger than Perry and newer to the “outside,” she is a more mature character.  She sees the bigger picture and is a good match for Perry despite what the tribe may think.  Perry saved Aria in Under the Never Sky, but she saves him in Through the Ever Night.  In the end they prove to be a good match, both committed to one another.
The journey is not over yet.  It will continue, and I desire more!  Right now!  Can Perry and Aria save the tribe before the aether destroys everything?  Will their love survive this time?  Can I survive the wait until next year for the conclusion?

No comments:

Post a Comment