Friday, June 14, 2013

Fantasy Friday: Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo


Just the facts:

Overall: 5 Stars

Addiction Level: I ignored the hubby and puppies until I finished the book.

Believe-ability: It was believable.

Dystopia Factor: Eh! It’s “normal” life.

~~~~~

            I am so excited to finally have this book in my hands! Actually I’m pretty sad that I’ve already finished it. I hate it when that happens! It’s like having book induced bi-polar disorder. Book-polar disorder! See what I did there? Oh yeah.

            Siege and Storm picks up shortly after Shadow and Bone ends and Mal and Alina have crossed the True Sea and gone into hiding. Unfortunately, their escape doesn’t last long (its even shorter than you might think) and they are captured by the Darkling and once again forced to locate another amplifier. Much more action ensues, which ultimately leads up to the question of “What will happen in book three?” (Sorry, I didn’t want to give more information because I sometimes find it hard not to spoil the secrets.)

Luckily, Bardugo doesn’t succumb to “Second Book Syndrome” and Siege and Storm packs a wallop much like book one. We are introduced to an array of new characters including the legendary pirate Sturmhond (who Alina might call irksome, but I’d call intriguing) and the relentless brother-sister duo, Tolya and Tamar. We also find that Alina embarks on a path of self discovery that becomes a love hate relationship for both her and Mal. (I particularly enjoyed Alina’s cheekiness in Siege and Storm and found myself laughing out loud or gasping with an “Oh no you didn’t!” kind of air.) Of course, Bardugo doesn’t stop there. Siege and Storm incorporates some rather “modern” weaponry and inventions which might stretch the fantasy limits for some, but I say what the heck! The series already has many magical elements to it, so why not throw in some more scientific elements as well. It all flows together quite nicely.


Needless to say, I am dying to read Ruin and Rising and have begun my reread of Siege and Storm to pass the time. I can’t go into my anxieties without giving too much away, but of course, I need to know what will happen to Alina! And Mal? The Darkling? Ravka and the heir to the throne?! (Read it and you’ll know exactly whom I’m talking about). Oh geez! I find it hard to breathe when I start thinking about all of the potential endings! I could really use a time machine right about now!

*** Oh! And here's a very Happy Birthday wish to the best brother in the world! Thanks for buying me books. :)***

No comments:

Post a Comment