Monday, June 24, 2013

Want to Blow Your Socks Off?: Obsidian, Onyx, & Opal by Jennifer Armentrout


Just the facts:

Overall: 4 Stars each!

Addiction Level: I ignored the hubby and puppies until I finished all 3 books! (And then suffered the worst book hangover. EVER.)

Believe-ability: I daydream about the created world and wonder how I fit in.

~~~~~

            It’s a pretty awesome feeling when I stumble upon a book or series that I never expected to actually awe me. Too often, I have high expectations for a book but am only let down in the end. I feel like throwing a raging party when the opposite happens. You know, you pick up a book thinking it will entertain you at the very least, but you’re not expecting to actually get involved with it. That’s what the Lux series was to me. Read now forget about it later. Oh, was I ever wrong.

            What is this series about you ask? Well, it’s basically the love child of Twilight and I Am Number Four. That is, if Twilight and I Am Number Four were to hook up and make babies. Sexy alien babies. If you think that seems a little ridiculous you’d be wrong. It’s hot. (There really is more to it than that, I promise. You can check these out if you want “real” snippets of Obsidian, Onyx, and Opal.)

So, to convince you, here’s my list of top five reasons why you have to pick up this series. I promise you won’t regret it.

5.) Suspense and mystery. You are never really sure who you can trust. Human friends? Luxen? Daemon? The DOD? You just never know.

4.) Armentrout knows how to write a romance. That’s not usually my thing, but wow. She’s good. Unfortunately, she’s also good at writing a cliffhanger ending. I’m really not happy about that part though. Not happy at all.

3.) Unlike many other book relationships, Katy and Daemon’s relationship is playful. In so many books the main characters develop a relationship that is “adult” and serious. (I have a theory about this but I won’t go into it now.) Life changing conversations and solemn confessions of love ensue. Boring. Katy and Daemon’s is much the opposite. They are always at each others throats or making suggestive comments towards one another. Let me tell you, no committed relationship (i.e. marriage) is very enjoyable if it is lacking playfulness. Would you really want to spend a lifetime with someone who can’t be fun when the mood strikes? Not me.

2.) The dialogue is downright hilarious. I don’t think I’ve laughed or giggled so much when I’ve read a book. Here’s two of my favorites: Chad does smell good actually. I think he wears a newer version of Old Spice. Not the kind my dad wears, because that would be gross.” And “There was no doubt in my mind that Daemon believed revenge was a dish best served in my face.” (I will warn you that the language in this series is pretty colorful, but this is one time where it didn’t actually bother me. As a matter of fact, I’ve never heard such combinations of words before. So, kudos on that.)

1.) Aliens with superhuman powers. BAM. No explanation needed.

P.S. Just so you know, there are more books expected in this series. If you start reading now, you're going to be waiting for release dates like me. Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment