Sunday, February 15, 2015

Wishing for Change: The Young Elites by Marie Lu



Just the facts:

Overall:  3 Stars

Addiction Level: I read it when I had spare time.

Believe-ability: It was believable. 

~~~~~


     The Young Elites is the newest book from author Marie Lu and is set to be another series. It follows a young Adelina Amouteru as she runs away from certain death and into the hands of the Dagger Society, a group of gifted young adults who would use their powers to protect others like themselves and change the negative attitudes toward them in their native kingdom.

My Experience 
     I had been really looking forward to starting this new series since I loved the Legend books. At first I had a little bit of a hard time getting involved in the story because the setting was not matching up with what I had expected in my mind. I continually struggled with it throughout the story, but I will say that I think that was my problem and not Lu's. I also had a hard time dealing with the fact that this story is an origin story for a villain. It is such a fresh concept that even though I started the book with that in mind I couldn't help but constantly think that Adelina was going to make a wise choice and save the day. It was really hard to remind myself that was not likely to happen.

The Book's Structure
     The book is told from alternating points of view, which was clear while reading. It also is told mostly in present tense with periods of flashbacks throughout.

Additional Thoughts
     Overall I loved the uniqueness of this story. The ending was satisfying while also leaving you wanting more. I think I will definitely have to reread this book before I read The Rose Society so that I can hopefully straighten out some of the kinks that I have in my mind. (Again, I think this is my fault, not the author's). 

 This is a sure recommendation for me, especially for those who want to read something a little darker.

No comments:

Post a Comment