Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Resurrection and Redemption: Such Wicked Intent by Kenneth Oppel




Just the facts:

Overall: 3 Stars

Addiction Level: I read it when I had spare time.

Believe-ability: It was believable.

Dystopia Factor: Eh! It's "normal" life.

~~~~~

            Such Wicked Intent is the second book in The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein series. (Click for a quick recap of my thoughts on This Dark Endeavor.) As much as I was disappointed by the first book in the series I was strangely drawn back into the world of the young Victor Frankenstein in this second book. I think I’m a bit of a sucker for wanting books/series to redeem themselves.
           
            Such Wicked Intent picks up shortly after the end of This Dark Endeavor as Victor, Elizabeth, and Henry decide that they must resurrect Konrad, even after all of the trouble they went through to find the Elixir of Life that obviously failed. Of course, Victor finds help from his ancestor, Wilhelm Frankenstein, in entering the spirit world and beginning to make preparations to bring Konrad back. Mischief and creepy stuff ensue and the three friends learn more about one another than they ever imagined.

            I must say that Such Wicked Intent proves that it is possible to redeem a series. For some reason I was able to really enjoy this story, unlike its counterpart. Perhaps it was because I had an idea what to expect from this book and I felt that the characters were more developed. I also think that the adventures were more believable and even darker than the first. Luckily, a reread of This Dark Endeavor was not necessary and Oppel seemed to remind the reader of important details without too much retelling.

            Worth a read if you are looking for something quick, easy, and more on the dark side. (Perhaps while waiting for The Final Descent? Just don’t make the mistake of comparing Will Henry with Victor Frankenstein.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment