Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Follow the Bread Crumbs: Shades of Earth by Beth Revis



Just the facts:

Overall: 3 ½   Stars

Addiction Level: I read it when I had spare time.

Believe-ability: I daydream about the created world and wonder how I fit in.

Dystopia Factor: The world has been turned upside down and all hope is lost!

~~~~~

             If you want a recap of previous books in this series check out our reviews for Across the Universe & A Million Suns.

            Shades of Earth continues Amy and Elder’s story as they prepare to leave Godspeed forever and begin a new life on Centauri-Earth. With their arrival on Centauri-Earth come new complications. For one, the time for the frozens to be reanimated officially arrives and all of the warnings and doubts of Orion fester within Elder. Add to that two very different groups of people trying to work together, a hostile environment, and the possibility of alien life forms and things aren’t really working in Elder or Amy’s favor.

            I must say that I have been pleasantly surprised by books lately. It seems as though we need to come up with some sort of quirky name for the third book that redeems the series. And Shades of Earth does just that. Revis craftily creates a new world outside of Godspeed, and having been stuck on Godspeed for two whole books sure makes you long for a new world (imagine being stuck there for centuries)! The new world is exciting, slightly dangerous and makes you start to question the authority and trustworthiness of many of the characters. Of course, Revis sticks to her mystery-style plot, but Centauri-Earth gives it a new feel.

            I mostly liked Shades of Earth, but I felt that the trail of crumbs was a bit too evident. Even from the start, I kept thinking, “There’s something up with _______”. And then it progressed to “__________ is definitely a _________ and __________”.  (Obviously, you get the idea that I’m trying not to spoil it, right?) But, through it all, I enjoyed the read and felt that there was a sufficient ending. I, however, don’t recommend reading it before bed because you might suffer from dinosaur related dreams or, in my case, dreams about too many embryos being created at once. Weird.



No comments:

Post a Comment