Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Opposition Rising: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Esso's Review:

Just the facts:

Overall: 5 Stars

Addiction Level: I ignored the hubby and the puppies until I finished the book.

Believe-ability: I daydream about the created world and wonder how I fit in.

~~~~~

     When I first read the cover leaf for Hourglass I wasn’t impressed and thought it sounded like it belonged primarily in the paranormal category. Did I really want to go there? No. No, I did not. However, after a great recommendation and a comforting “don’t judge it by the cover” comment (Thanks Dr. M!) I decided I’d try it out. I am, after all, a huge Doctor Who fan and there is a time travel element. Make that a HUGE time travel element. Needless to say, I was hooked by the first chapter.

     Hourglass is the story of seventeen year old Emerson Cole and her discovery of what her visions from the past mean for her future. It is also a story that examines opportunities to right the wrongs of life, as well as the choices we make and their consequences. Hourglass comes complete with a cute older guy, secret organizations, and a cheeky tone. Heaving with romance, I caught myself blushing and giggling all the way through, which I think might have been more so than my entire teenage life. (Not to worry moms, there is nothing too over the top. Promise.) My only complaint is that the story features another petite heroine who likes to run. Really?! Who in their right mind likes to run?! I keep holding out for an average build, average motivation heroine. That could work, right?

     Hourglass will leave you breathless and wondering what would happen if someone screwed with the space time continuum of your life. The downside is that this obsession, I mean symptom, will probably last until the sequel comes out, maybe longer (Thank goodness we're now only about a month away!). I recommend a healthy dose of Doctor Who to tide you over, preferably featuring David Tennant as the tenth Doctor, the supreme Doctor.
 


Rebecca's Review:

Just the Facts:

Overall Rating:  3 Stars

Addiction Level:  I ignored the hubby and puppy and stayed up late until I finished the book.

Believe-ability:  The setting is believable.

Dystopia Factor:  The world is starting to disintegrate.

~~~

One thing I liked about Hourglass was its ability to draw me into the story.  The first time I read it was over the summer.  I stayed up late and suffered from a book hangover the next day.  Not pretty, but almost worth it.  At the time I was the only one not to LOVE Hourglass.  Let me tell you why.

I have mixed emotions about romance novels.  I like them, but I hate when characters mistake lust for love and 17-year-old girls know who they want to spend the rest of their lives with.  Additionally sometimes I feel like reading too many romance novels is dangerous for my relationship with my husband.  I start to wonder why he doesn’t show affection the same way the characters do.  Does this mean he doesn’t love me?!?!? <gasp!>  No. of. course. not. Don’t. be. ridiculous.

I also get frustrated when the romance overshadows the plot.  I feel this is the case in Hourglass.  The main characters are time traveling.  How cool is that?  Can you imagine what kinds of mischief people could get in to or what kinds of honorable acts could be done?  Imagine if we could change the course of history!  Awesome in a scary way!

The end left with me with more questions.  How does time travel really work?  How have events changed?  Can they be sure of what tomorrow holds?  What is next?

***SPOILER ALERT***

One thing I enjoyed and was intrigued by was Jack.  He makes a scary villain.  He visits Emerson in her bedroom, the most intimate and personal space she owns.  (When I was done reading the second time I also expected to find Jack waiting in my bathroom for me.  Scary!)  He changes her past, so that she “owes” him for her present.  He stole Liam’s wife’s memory which incapacitated her.  He manipulates people and situations to his own end.  He has messed with time, so no one is sure of the consequences. He is mastermind behind the “evil plans.”  I buy most of it, but I feel like McEntire tried too quickly to tie up some of the loose ends leaving the reader unconvinced. 

No comments:

Post a Comment