Saturday, May 26, 2012

Super Summer Reads - Part 1: Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky

With the upcoming release of Middle Ground in November (and since I haven’t been a good blogger lately) I thought I would share with you my original review of Awaken, one of my favorite reads of 2011. Enjoy!




Just the facts:

Overall: 4 Stars

Addiction Level: I ignored the hubby and puppies until I finished the book.

Believe-ability: It was believable.

Dystopia Factor: The world is starting to disintegrate.

~~~~~

   I picked up Awaken looking for an easy read, something that I wouldn’t have to think too hard about. It ended up being an easy read, but it sucked me in more than I expected. Awaken is part love story and part rebellion. What makes it different, however, is that the rebellion is not against the government so much as it is against the national education system. Kacvinsky, a former educator, makes some interesting points about the real purpose of education and that, in itself, is a good enough reason to read this book. Although some of the ideas in this book are beyond obvious, it is still an exciting read complete with James Bond-type gadgets and car chases. As far as a fun read goes, this book is a sure recommendation from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment