Saturday, January 7, 2012

Strange Things Are Happening to Me - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs



Just the facts:

Overall: 3 stars

Addiction Level: I read it when I had spare time.

Believe-ability: It was believable.
~~~~~

     Family secrets, a decaying orphanage, and a series of vintage photographs are the basis for this unusual young adult story. When Jacob’s grandpa dies mysteriously, the teen determinedly sets out to find out more about the strange life his grandpa supposedly lived.

     I’m not sure what to think of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. At first, I thought it was going to be creepy like The Monstrumologist; it wasn’t. Then, I thought the idea of children with special abilities was the driving theme; not sure it is. Time travel? Maybe. Weeks later, I’m still trying to figure out what the overall idea is.

      I found the characters to be a little flat (with the exception of Jacob’s grandpa) and I can’t say that any of them particularly stuck with me. But, it is still a unique read and worth the time.

     I think a second read will be in order and an open mind towards the second book (which will hopefully answer some of my lingering questions). If you’re looking to read something different from the other young adult novels around, you should grab yourself a copy of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment