Thursday, December 15, 2011

Survival of the Fittest: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


Just the Facts:

Overall Rating: 5 Stars

Addiction Level: I ignored the hubby and puppy until I finished the book.

Believe-ability: I daydream about the created world and wonder how I fit in.

Dystopia Factor: The world has been turned upside down and all hope is lost, but maybe our hero/heroine can save it.

It seems trivial to write a review about The Hunger Games. To say we love it is an understatement. To say it has changed our lives is cliché. To say we are obsessed is putting the matter mildly.

Synopsis:

Panem is a futuristic world in which the Capitol rules the nation. Capitol citizens live in luxury, while those in the Districts live in poverty. Seventy-four years ago the Districts tried to rebel against the Capitol but failed miserably. As a result District 13 was obliterated, and now the Districts are subjected to the annual Hunger Games. One boy and girl (tributes) are selected from each District to fight to the death. The surviving tribute receives great honor, glory, and prestige.

The two lucky tributes from District 12 are Peeta and Katniss. Peeta is chosen, and Katniss volunteers for her sister Prim. Peeta and Katniss are groomed, trained, and let loose in the arena. Check it out to see who wins and who loses.

Addiction Level:

The first chapter was a little slow, but I kept reading because I HAD to for my book group. Boy am I glad I kept reading. We enjoyed it so much, we devoured it in two weeks time and jumped immediately to Catching Fire.

Once I got going, I ignored the hubby and puppy until I finished the book. My husband learned not to talk to me, but the puppy never got over missed walks. =(

Believe-ability:

Yes, I pretend I am Katniss and dream about fighting others in the Hunger Games. Don’t you? Most of the time my dreams make school the arena. Don’t worry I make it out alive.

Collins does a great job of creating the setting of District 12, the Capitol, and the arena. The dialogue is believable and honest. As the story progressed, I realized I do care about Katniss, Peeta, Rue, and even Haymitch.

Dystopia Factor:

The world has been turned upside down by those greedy Capitolites. Please explain to be how gladiator combat between kids (ages 12 – 17) is entertaining! It is just like playing video games, right? So many people are killed that the death is commonplace. The oppression and entertainment factor makes me doubt our heroine, Katniss.

However, there is just something about her spark and snarkiness that makes me keep the faith. I root for Peeta and Katniss like they were tributes from my hometown. They must survive!

Conclusion:

If you have not read The Hunger Games series yet, what are you waiting for? Why are you still reading this blog? Really? Get going!

2 comments:

  1. My Daughter just finished the first book, and the second book is lost in my room somewhere. She's in agony! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Send out a book rescue party! Make sure to have Mockingjay available to relieve the agony of Catching Fire.

    ReplyDelete