Friday, December 30, 2011

Best Books of 2011

     The end of the year is upon us once again. So, here’s our list of Best Books of 2011. If you missed one or two, we recommend that you visit your local library or bookseller soon. You’ll want to have read these!

Cheers!
Rebecca & Esso




Rank


Title

Rebecca says:

Esso says:






1

Divergent
 by Veronica Roth


Divergent made me question values, choices, and ideals and wonder who/what one can trust.

 I couldn't put this book down. I love the action and watching Tris develop new skills.







2

The Knife of Never Letting Go / The Ask and the Answer
 by Patrick Ness


I enjoyed the non-stop action and the unstoppable devotion of Todd’s dog, Manchee.

 I'm dreading starting the last book because the first two are so suspensful. Full of action and no end in sight.






3

 The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey







~~~


 This book is my top pick for 2011. Yancey creates characters that you would really like to meet. And, the writing is extraordinary!






4

 Matched
by Ally Condie


It combined the best parts of The Giver, Fahrenheit 451, and The Hunger Games. 

I liked it because I could see a real change in Cassia's acceptance of society. 






5

 Hourglass
 by Myra McEntire


The breathless read kept me awake to all hours of the night trying to unravel the mysteries contained within it. 

Time travel and cute guys, who could ask for more? A sure read for any Doctor Who fans out there. 





6

 City of Thieves
by David Benioff






 ~~~


One of the best historical fiction novels I've read in a long time. The characters were great and their journey was believable. Kolya may be my new literary BFF.






7

 Eon / Eona
 by Alison Goodman


 I liked this because Eon(a) is a strong female character navigating her way through a life and death world full of dragons and deception. 

I enjoyed these books because of the fantasy world and sword play. The characters made me want to hope for change. 






8

 Across the Universe by Beth Revis


The futuristic world where humankind tries to salvage what is left of society is very believable. 

 It was an entertaining book that read like a cross between a crime-solving mystery and a true young adult dystopia. A little shocking during parts, ATU kept me guessing at what life aboard a centuries-old spaceship would really be like.






9

 Awaken
 by Katie Kacvinsky


I enjoyed Madeline’s journey to find herself as she experiences life and her first love. 

 Although some of the ideas in this book are beyond obvious, it is still an exciting read complete with James Bond-type gadgets and car chases.






10

 Between Shades of Gray
 by Ruta Sepetys


 I enjoyed this book because it gave an insider's perspective on Stalin's attempted mass genocide of "unfavorable people." Sepetys's message "Be kind and loving to one another" strikes home as a truism.  




~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment